Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hillsdale Farmer's Market Warning Con't

A reply from the Market's Manager...

...Gee Creek Farm has recently been licensed to mill flours. I didn't see any gluten free claims the first week they had the new products. They likely added more items this past week and it was so busy I didn't notice.

My wife is board certified in internal medicine and pediatrics so I am well aware of celiac disease and food allergies. Even if the products were made with gluten free grains, Gee Creek has only one mill room and the products really couldn't be called gluten free. The room and the the machinery will have some wheat or other product in them. I've left a message with the farm and will try to make direct contact.

Please let the group know that they should contact the manager during the market session if possible. While the ultimate responsibility is actually the vendor's, we can intervene quickly if made aware of the situation.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Sincerely,

Eamon Molloy
Market Manager
Hillsdale Farmers' Market


We will keep you posted as things develop and we find out more.
Thanks!

No comments: